Authentic Chettinad style Keerai Kootu, this simple recipe uses Pasalai Keerai, Cooked Moong Dal, onion, green chilli and temper it with Urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
1 bunch Pasalai Keerai (only leaves, chopped)
1 cup Moong dal (boiled)
1 Onion (chopped)
2 green chilies
A few Cumin Seeds
A few Mustard Seeds
A few Split Urad Dal
¼ tsp Asafoetida powder
Few Curry leaves
Few cloves of garlic
Salt to taste
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes to 1 hour
• PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
1. Take 2 tsp of oil in a large pan (Buy https://goo.gl/adIoSG ), add the onions and green chilies, sauté them to golden brown color.
2. Add the chopped leaves to the sautéed onions and mix it well (Buy https://goo.gl/YkAQuW ).
3. Once the leaves are ¾ th cooked, add the moong dal, add 1-2 cups of water and mix it gently and finally add some salt.
4. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Add 2 tsp of oil in a pan; add some urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, smashed garlic cloves, a pinch of asafetida powder, curry leaves and turn off the stove (Buy https://goo.gl/egFtsG ).
6. Add the tempered elements to the cooked spinach and dal, and let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
Get more recipes and cooking tips
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting recipes and cooking tips to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.