Dhokla is a Gujarati dish that can be eaten for breakfast or as a snack. Hema Subramanian shows us how to make this delicious, spongy steam-cooked snack.
• 300 grams Besan Flour
• 3 tsp Sugar
• 1 tsp Baking Soda
• Lemon Juice (1 Lemon)
• Salt to taste
• Mustard Seeds
• Curry Leaves
• Green Chilies
• Coriander Leaves
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
• COOKING TIME: 25 mins
1. Mix the flour with sugar and lemon juice.
2. Add enough water to it and mix it well with a whisk to avoid lumps.
3. Add salt and baking soda to the batter.
4. Use a deep tray or a small container with a flat base and grease it with oil.
5. Pour the batter gently into the container and put it in a steamer and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
To make sure the dhokla is cooked insert a knife, if it comes out clean the dhokla is cooked.
6. Take a pan, Pour enough oil add the mustard seeds, green chilies and curry leaves.
7. Top the dhokla with the tempered ingredients.
Cool the Dhokla completely before it is cut
Best when served with Coconut Chutney
Get more recipes and cooking tips
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting recipes and cooking tips to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.