Watch Chef Sneha Nair make Kerala’s authentic main course recipe, Yam Curry only on Get Curried.
Onam is the time when the whole of Kerala lives its days (& nights!) through boat races, elaborate meals, endless happiness & endless celebrations. So, to mark the occasion, households in Kerala prepare their traditional banquet, also known as Sadya. Usually served for lunch, it is a vegetarian meal and Kootu curry or yam curry is an integral part of the spread. Although a festive dish, Kootu curry is so easy that you can rustle it up in your home kitchen anytime, occasion or no occasion! So, go ahead, learn, cook & enjoy!
– A piece of Yam
– Cup of freshly desiccated coconut
– 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
– 10-15 Pepper corn
– Pinch of Turmeric
– Mustard Seeds
– Curry Leaves
– Black Chickpeas
– Sugar / Jaggery
– In a pan, add small cubes of chopped yams (peel the skin), to which add water and turmeric and boil it.
– Grind desiccated coconut , cumin seeds and pepper.
– In a pan, roast freshly desiccated coconut.
– When the roasted coconut turns brown , add mustard seeds and curry leaves and cover the pan with a lid.
– Once the yam are cooked, drain the water from the Yams.
– In other pan, add yams, the masala mixture, black chickpeas, salt , sugars and the roasted coconut mixture.
Get more recipes and cooking tips
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting recipes and cooking tips to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.