Large Aubergine – 1 no
Oil – 1 tbsp (Buy at https://goo.gl/AKeheZ)
Large Onion – 1 no
Green Chilies – 2 no
Medium Sized Tomatoes – 2 no
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Few Coriander Leaves
1. Place the aubergine (Baingan) on the stove(Buy at https://goo.gl/R2ucbn) and grill it on medium-high flame. Grill for 10-15 minutes till the aubergine is completely cooked.
2. Remove the aubergine from the stove and place it in a bowl(Buy at https://goo.gl/c790Ou) of water for a minute or two.
3. Remove the skin of the aubergine (Tip: Select a light colored aubergine for this recipe)
4. Chop the flesh of the aubergine.
5. Take a wide saucepan(Buy at https://goo.gl/GJODU2) and pour 1 tbsp of oil.
6. To this add 1 large finely chopped onion and 2 finely chopped green chilies.
7. Once the onions turn brown, add 1 tsp of chopped garlic, 1 tsp of finely chopped ginger and 2 finely chopped medium sized tomatoes.
8. Season it with turmeric powder, 1 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala and 1 tsp of salt and stir.
9. Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the chopped aubergine and mix well.
10. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
Baingan Bharta is ready. Can be served with chapathi, roti, naan, bread or as a dip.
Vankaya Gujju Kura
Brinjal – 250 gms
For Pound Masala
Green chili – 4 nos small
Grated Coconut – 1 Tbsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 Tsp
Red chili – 2 nos
Onion – 2 nos chopped
Tomato – 2 nos chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 2 Tsp
Salt to taste
1. Tip: To the water add rock salt, when you cut the brinjals immediately drop it into salted water.
2. Pound ginger, garlic, green chili, and grated coconut together.
3. Heat oil in a wide saucepan. Add ingredients for tempering mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, and red chili.
4. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add onions and saute till it turns brown.
5. Now add tomato and saute till it becomes mushy.
6. Add the pounded masala and mix well.
7. Then add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and mix well.
8. Add the sliced brinjals and mix well. Close and cook for 20 minutes or until brinjal is cooked.
9. Finally, garnish it with curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves.
10. Serve hot with steaming rice.
Brinjal Curry for Biryani
Brinjal – 5 no
Whole spices (Cinnamon, Cloves & Cardamom)
Onion – 2 no
Chopped Green chili – 2 no
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Tomato Puree – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chili powder – 2 Tsp
Rock salt – 1 tsp
Tamarind puree – 1/2 cup
For Masala powder:
Peanut – 3 tsp
Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
1. Add peanuts, peppercorns, sesame seeds and cumin seeds to a mixer jar and grind it into a fine powder.
2. Add a little oil in a saucepan and add the whole spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom), sliced onions, few curry leaves and the chopped green chilies to the pan.
3. Saute the ingredients until they are a nice golden brown in color.
4. Now, add the garlic paste and ginger paste to the pan. Mix well.
5. Add a cup of tomato puree to the pan and give it a quick stir.
6. Add the turmeric powder, chili powder and rock salt to the pan and mix it so that the powders are blended in properly.
7. Let it cook until the raw smell goes off.
8. Meanwhile, take a few brinjals and cut off the crown.
9. Make four slits on each brinjal.
10. Once the raw smell goes off, add a cup of diluted tamarind puree to the pan.
11. Reduce the flame and add a little water to the pan and mix well.
12. Now, add the brinjals to the curry. Mix well.
13. Close the pan with a lid and let it cook until the brinjals are completely cooked.
14. Once the brinjals are cooked, add a little jaggery and two Tsp.’s of the masala powder to the curry and give it a quick stir.
15. Finally, simple yet delicious Brinjal Curry is ready to be served! You can have it with chicken biryani, mutton biryani or even vegetable biryani! Serve hot!
#BrinjalRecipes #BainganBharta #BrinjalCurry
Get more recipes and cooking tips
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting recipes and cooking tips to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.