Nethili Fish Curry
For Coconut Paste
Coconut Grated – 1/2 Cup
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
Nethili / Anchovies
Coconut Oil – 2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 Tsp
Shallots – 20 Nos
Green Chili – 2 Nos
ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tsp
Tomato – 1 No
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili Powder – 3 Tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
Tamarind Puree – 1/2 Cup
1. To make the masala paste, add coconut, cumin seeds, and water to a mixer grinder.
2. Grind it to a fine paste.
3. Heat a clay pot and add coconut oil.
4. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds to the hot oil.
5. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the sliced shallots and slit green chillies.
6. Saute the onions until they are golden brown in colour.
7. Add the ginger garlic paste and chopped tomatoes and give it a stir.
8. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, tamarind puree, and water.
9. Let it come to a boil and add the coconut masala paste.
10. Add some water, curry leaves and cook the close the pot and cook it.
11. After the raw smell has gone, add the nethili fish pieces slowly into the pot.
12. Do not stir the pot with a ladle as it may break the fish pieces.
13. Close the pot and cook it till the fish pieces are cooked.
14. Your nethili/anchovy fish curry is ready.
15. You can have this curry with steamed rice, dosa, idli, appam or idiyappam.
Get more recipes and cooking tips
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting recipes and cooking tips to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.